A challenging position in software development, technical consulting, or solutions architecture working in a Unix/Linux environment which allows me to utilize my broad experience and fast learning abilities while helping a small or mid-sized company in the Denver area grow.
Java, C/C++, Ruby, Perl, Ada, VAX/VMS macro assembly
Eclipse, RubyMine, git, CVS, Subversion, Perforce, Rational Rose, Cucumber, RSpec
Linux (Debian, Red Hat, Centos), Windows 3.1-2008, Solaris, AIX, HP-UX, Irix, MS-DOS, OS/2
TeamSite, LiveSite/SitePublisher, OpenDeploy
MySQL, PostgreSQL, LaTeX, VMware Server and ESXi, XML, LDAP, OpenSSL
June, 2004 - Present —
Interwoven (acquired by Autonomy, then Hewlett Packard) —
San Jose, CA / Denver, CO
Senior Member of Technical Staff,
promoted to Staff Engineer
- Developed and maintained parts of TeamSite, a high-volume multi-threaded content management server (C++/Java/Perl). Core areas of responsibility include user management (LDAP, PAM) and security functions (SSL). Software is used by over 2000 customers, including many of the Fortune 500. (Skills: Solaris, Linux, Windows, AIX, Perforce, multi-threaded locking issues)
- Developed and maintained a virtualizing proxy which parses and rewrites URLs, maintaining context across requests without relying on cookies or modified source content in a virtual preview environment. (Skills: C++, HTTP, Apache, Apache module API)
- Designed and Developed UI-level integration of content managment software with WebTrends analytics engine. (Skills: Java, J2EE, Spring, Hibernate, Struts-like framework)
- Architected, designed, developed, and maintained a tool which installs full websites into content management system (including CMS-specific metadata and dependency information) from an archive format. This was widely requested in the field and allows for porting from one CMS system to another and development and sharing of highly complex site components by system integrators. (Skills: Java, J2EE, Perl, XML, XSLT, Ant)
- Maintained and improved iw-webd, a custom build of the Apache HTTP server acting as a reverse proxy and front end into the TeamSite content management stack. Responsible for overall web application security and fielding inquiries regarding possible vulnerabilities. (Skills: Apache HTTP server, Apache Tomcat, JBoss)
- Assisted with a wide variety of pre-sales proof-of-concepts, pilot projects, and customer-facing support escalations related to the Interwoven TeamSite software stack.
August 2002 - November 2011 —
PT Internet —
Co-founder, CTO, Developer
- Created and continually improved a Behavior-Driven-Design and Continuous Integation Testing development environment from scratch. (Skills: Linux, Apache HTTP Server, Tomcat, Ruby on Rails, RubyMine, Cucumber, RSpec, Git, Bugzilla, CVS, Subversion, Nagios, New Relic)
- Architected, developed, and deployed a SaaS inventory management system for Amazon resellers, allowing easy data entry and pricing, interfacing with Amazon reseller API and custom e-commerce site, and updating inventory in near-real-time based on sales. Created a Perl-based web application framework (Skills: Perl, Apache, Linux, MySQL, HTML, CSS, CGI)
- Ported an embedded systems hydrological data analysis tool from QNix and custom data storage system to Linux and PostgreSQL, implemented a database abstraction layer, replaced X11 front-end with J2EE web application front end. (Skills: Linux, QNix, PostgreSQL, C)
- Architected, developed, and deployed a web-based digital music download and affiliate marketing site. Created large-capacity redundand data storage architecture and secure download system, and web front end allowing artists to custom-skin pages for selling their own downloadable music using dynamically-generated CSS. (Skills: J2EE, Perl, Tomcat, MP3, Linux, Apache, MySQL, HTML, CSS)
April 2002 - June 2004 —
Sunnyvale, CA / Denver, CO
Senior Technical Support Engineer, Support Operations
- Reported to Vice President of Technical Support. Primary
responsibilities included analyzing and improving business processes
used in the technical support department, developing software tools
for use in-house by technical support staff, developing processes and
tools for supporting Java developers, and occasional direct
involvement with customer cases. Developed in-house case tracking
system and business processes which reduced response time on case
escalation from two weeks to one day. (Skills: Java, Perl, Business Process Analysis)
January 2000 - April 2002 —
Los Angeles, CA
promoted to Senior Technical Consultant
- Primary responsibilities included software system analysis,
consultation, installation, customization, and integration of
Interwoven software at customer locations. Successfully completed
over 50 projects, including many at Fortune 500 companies. Projects
involved knowledge of enterprise software architecture, web and
application servers, computer networking. Significant software
development in Perl and Java. Also participated in
developing the Interwoven Certified Consultant certification test. (Skills: Perl, Java, Application Servers, Data Modeling, Workflow Modeling, Business Process Analysis)
January 1998 - January 2000 —
Lockheed Martin —
promoted to Senior Software Engineer
- Responsible for re-architecting real-time embedded tactical defense application, porting from procedural Ada environment on proprietary hardware to OO C++ environment on COTS hardware (Skills: C++, Ada, VxWorks, Rational Rose, PC104+, VME)
- Designed and implemented web-based software development process
automation tools to satisfy Navy design and code review standards using a CGI interface and SQL database back-end.
- Configured and administered a
Unix-based (HP-UX and Solaris) development environment, the Tornado
tool-set, and the VxWorks real-time kernel.
The Johns Hopkins University —
Coursework towards a Master of Science degree in Computer Science with
concentrations in computer engineering, systems and systems software,
and telecommunications with a GPA of 4.0. Courses in Data Communications Networks, Operating Systems, Multimedia Systems, and Microprocessor Systems (Relocated
to California before completing the program.)
1994 - 1997 —
University of Maryland, Baltimore County —
Graduated cum laude with a Bachelor of Science degree in Computer Science and
concentration in Computer Engineering. Earned a
cumulative GPA of 3.55 and a GPA of
3.9 in computer science courses. Courses included
C, computer architecture, C++, VAX-VMS assembly, algorithms, theory of programming languages,
operating systems, networks, databases, calculus, and differential
equations. Transcript available upon request.
Honors, Awards, Societies
Tau Beta Pi National Engineering Honor Society (MD Delta '97).
Awarded UMBC President's Scholar Scholarship and Maryland Senatorial Scholarship.
Awarded 20 Advanced Placement credits (Physics, English and History).
Student Government Association
Senator for two years.
Speaker of the Student Senate one year.
Awarded Certificate of Merit and State of Maryland Merit Scholarship, National Merit Commended Scholar Award, and Lockheed Martin Business Excellence Award.
The latest version of this resume is always available at http://www.peterlaird.net/resume.html.
Available upon request.
Peter T. Laird <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Last modified: Fri Jan 13 16:27:10 2012